Vegan Mexican Casserole
Mexican Vegan Casserole
This recipe creates 6-10 Servings. I create extra for the next night!
Intuitive Approach! Writing out these recipes is challenging for me, because I flow with adding more or less ingredients in the moment. Listen to your intuition… if it says add more salt, add more salt! A rule of them to go by, if the flavors aren’t quite popping and perfect at the end of any recipe, is to ask which of the 4 it is missing: Salt, Acid (lemon, lime, citrus, vinegar), Fat (olive oil/coconut oil) or Flavor (spice/herbs). If something isn’t tasting right, one of these 4 items need a bit more attention. Taste and see what needs to be added.
The Mole Sauce:
- Sautee 5 minutes with peppers and onions, then add garlic and tomato paste and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes (see image to the right)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 sweet onion
- 3T Coconut Oil
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 red pepper (mild/medium heat or 2 jalapeno)
- Add 1 small can of organic Non-GMO tomato paste
While cooking~ Combine in blender…
- 2 dried red chilis
- 2 dried chipotle peppers (less if you don’t like spice)
- 3/4 C raisins (or in the summer dried mango)
- 1/4 C Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Fresh Limes (Juice only)
- 1T Celtic Sea Salt
- 1T Balsamic Vinegar
- 2T Olive Oil
Blend then stir into sauteed red sauce. Simmer on low for another 5-10 minutes to combine flavors!
The Crusted Eggplant:
In blender grind dry chia into powder then pour into bowl and combine chia, almond meal, salt, lime juice and water to create a paste. Set aside while the chia become sticky. Slice eggplant. They dip the eggplant slices onto batter and place on baking sheet oiled with coconut oil. Bake on 350 for 15-20 minutes or until they get slightly golden and crispy on top. You may use sweet potatoes in addition or instead of eggplant to add to the variety of flavor!
- 1 Fresh Limes
- 1tsp Celtic Sea Salt
- 1/2 C Chia Seeds
- 1/2 C Sprouted Almond Meal
- 1/4 C water (may need more and less to make sticky consistency)
- 1 Large Eggplant
Raw Vegan Cheese:
Soak 1lb of raw organic macadamia (or half brazil nuts/half macadamia) nuts overnight. Cashews are known for making the creamiest vegan cheese, but for some it is harder to digest so I suggest my Hawaiian favorites! Then combine ingredients in blender. If it’s too think to blend add a little water.
- 1lb Soaked Nuts
- 2T Chickpea Miso
- 1-2T Nutritional Yeast (if you don’t do NY, add more Miso for the cheesy flavor)
- 1 Lemon (Juice and 1/4 of the rhine if the lemon is organic)
- 3 cloves of garlic (or more, 1 use a bulb, but I’m crazy!)
- 2T Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 C Olive Oil
- 1/2T Celtic Sea Salt
- Water (To get the blender going, start with 1/4-1/2C)
Preparing the Dish to Serve
In a bowl layer like lasagna. Place crusted eggplant, add a layer of “cheese” and repeat. When it’s 2-3 levels high… spread sauce around the outside and sprinkle fresh cilantro and green onions on top. If you’d like more filling, you can place black wild rice at the bottom of the bowl to add density and protein.